Make a difference in our community. Volunteer at the library!
Volunteers help make Columbus Metropolitan Library great. Here’s how…
- Reading Buddies is a program that supports schools in their efforts to help K-3 students with Third Grade Reading proficiency, a state mandated requirement. Volunteers help young readers by listening while they read and helping them with vocabulary and understanding the story. One hour, once a week, is all we need from our volunteers.
- Our Homework Help Centers assist young customers in their academic success throughout the school year. Volunteers help students K-12 complete homework projects. Whether you want to read with elementary students or assist middle schools with math and science homework, this is a rewarding place to help.
- Our Job Help Centers help unemployed and underemployed customers find work. We help build computer skills, write resumes and cover letter and assist with online applications. Volunteers hours are during the day, but a few branches feature evening hours.
- While the nature of libraries is constantly changing, we still need volunteers to help us pull materials for our customers and put books back on the shelves. Circulation support positions are limited, so check with your branch to see if a volunteer opening is available.
If your passion involves developing budding readers, we have two opportunities especially for Early Childhood Development students and experts.
- The Karl Road branch features a Kindergarten Readiness Zone where parents and young customers can visit to get the full kindergarten experience. Casual reading, puzzles, games, music, and even teaching students the proper ways to ride on the school bus are included in this opportunity.
- Our Ready to Read team is looking for volunteers to help with visits with parents and caretakers. While our staff engage the adults, volunteers model literate behavior with babies, toddlers, and preschoolers. If you like to rhyme, sing, and read picture books in multiple settings, this may be a great volunteer position for you.
Want to volunteer? Click here for an application.
Already a volunteer at CML? Track your volunteer hours.