Mutual respect makes it possible for everyone to enjoy library materials and services. You can help by refraining from behavior that interferes with the rights of others and the duties of the library staff.
At the Columbus Metropolitan Library, we strive for every customer to experience the joy and satisfaction of learning and enrichment. In order to preserve that opportunity, we ask customers to be respectful of each other and behave in a manner that does not disrupt other customers or staff.
The Library Board of Trustees is responsible for determining the rules for public behavior in the Library that are necessary to:
- Protect the rights of individuals to use Library property, materials, and services;
- Protect the rights of Library employees and volunteers to conduct library business without interference;
- Preserve Library materials and facilities from harm; and
- Ensure the safety of Library customers, employees, and volunteers.
The rules for public behavior will be prominently posted in the Library. Library employees are authorized to bring to an individual's attention any act or omission which violates these rules. The individual will be asked to change the problem behavior to conform to the rules. If such change is not evident or forthcoming, that individual will be asked to leave Library property. Failure to leave if asked may result in the police being called and a possible charge of criminal trespass per Section 2911.21 of the Ohio Revised Code.
Behavior that interferes with the rights of others includes, but is not limited to:
- Leaving children under age 7 unattended.
- Unreasonable noise including: loud talking, singing, boisterous activity, cell phone and audio/visual equipment usage.
- Profane, obscene or abusive language; racial or ethnic epithets.
- Harassing customers or staff. Deliberate repeated behavior that is intimidating, hostile, or offensive, or adversely impacts staff work performance.
- Intentionally damaging, destroying or stealing any property belonging to the Library, another customer or staff.
- Use of the internet for unlawful purposes as defined by federal, state and local laws.
- Abuse or improper use of furniture, equipment or materials.
- Gambling, panhandling, soliciting money, any activity for personal profit.
- Monopolizing/obstructing space, seating, tables or equipment to the exclusion of others.
- Trespassing, violating an eviction, or entering upon library property when banned.
- Fighting, challenging someone to fight, physical abuse or assault.
- Possessing weapons or other items deemed dangerous by library staff. Violation of posted concealed weapons prohibition.
- Engaging in or soliciting a sexual act. Indecent exposure.
- Improper dress including bare feet and no shirt.
- Vandalizing library facilities or equipment.
- Distributing/posting unauthorized materials (Materials must be submitted for review and approval for posting and distributing).
- Being under the influence, possessing alcohol or drugs, selling drugs or alcoholic beverages.
- Bathing, shaving or washing clothes on the premises.
- Roller skating, roller blading, skateboarding, ball playing, cycling.
- Bringing animals, other than service animals, into the library.
- Smoking, chewing tobacco.
- Offensive body odor.
- Other acts disruptive to customers and staff.
For more information, please see our Policy and Procedure here.